May 15, 2013
11 reasons why Angelina Jolie is the coolest person on the planet
Angelina Jolie made headlines this week with news that chose to have a double mastectomy to avoid an 87% chance of developing breast cancer. Not only that, she then went public with her very personal decision, and in doing so raised the profile of a fairly unknown danger, and gave emotional support to every other woman who’s had a similar procedure. She is one cool lady. And not just because of that. Here are 11 reasons – some noble, some less so – why Angelina Jolie is the coolest person on the planet.
1. She is a United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees Goodwill Ambassador. (Let’s start with the big stuff.) She’s visited refugees in 30 countries, she lobbies for humanitarian causes to the US Government, and she’s set up several humanitarian charities. It is over the top to say she’s as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside? No. Cheesy? Yes. Who cares. Swooooon.
2. Angelina Jolie is the quintessential straight girl’s crush. She’s the gay girl’s crush too, (obviously – that’s not news) but she has a magical hold over all straight women. Straight women can see that someone like Beyonce is pretty, and Megan Fox is sexy, but Angelina is… something else. Angelina can make even the most settled straight girl question the previously unquestionable. Which, if you’ve ever fallen for a straight girl, is encouraging.
3. She’s bisexual. Famously, unashamedly, properly bisexual. None of that ‘I just kissed a girl and liked it’ business – she had a well documented relationship with model / actor Jenny Shimizu in 1996. “I probably would have married Jenny Shimizu if I hadn’t married my husband [Jonny Lee Miller],” said Angelina at the time. “I fell in love with her the first second I saw her.”
4. She’s with Brad Pitt, one of the coolest guys on the planet. Obviously all of us secretly think she’d be happier with us (see point 2), but failing that, she may as well be one half of the world’s most beautiful couple.
5. Angelina is a politically aware film director as well as an actor. In 2011 she directed In the Land of Blood and Honey, a film set in the Bosnian war. She uses her power as one of the world’s most famous actors to draw attention to what she called “”the worst genocide since World War II in Europe”.
6. She made computer science cool in Hackers, thereby encouraging a generation of girls to become programmers. Maybe.
7. She made guns cool, thereby encouraging a generation of girls to become assassins, cycloptic Sky Captains of the future and wealthy archaeologist/thieves. Hmm. Ok. Perhaps her film choices haven’t been particularly inspirational.
8. Angelina and Brad support gay marriage – they donated £100,000 in 2008 to support the campaign for gay marriage in California. (Just forget the bit where they also declared that they wouldn’t marry until gay people had the right to marry, but then they changed their minds and did it anyway. Bad Brangelina.)
9. She’s officially the world’s most beautiful woman. Take a moment, if you would, to spare a thought for beautiful women everywhere; women who are ignored, discriminated against, and face hardships on a daily basis because they are simply too beautiful. It’s just so sad. And poor Angelina has had to deal with that burden all her life.
10. Angelina helped launch the Malala Fund in early April 2013. The fund supports girls’ education in Pakistan, and is named after Malala Yousafzai, the schoolgirl who survived getting shot in the head by the Taliban. Angelina also pledged £200,000 for the fund. This itself is pretty amazing, and then you look again at the dates – Angelina said she finished the three months of medical procedures on April 27, so she was still recovering from surgery when she spoke at the Women in the World conference. Most people would want to quietly recover at home; Angelina does more humanitarian work.
11. She proved that bad tattoo choices don’t have to define you forever. With her tattoo of ex-husband Billy Bob (husband and tattoo now both removed), Angelina shows us that she makes mistakes too – she’s only human, like the rest of us. Except she’s far more attractive, socially conscious, rich, lucky and powerful. But other than that, she’s just like everyone else.
Lucy Spraggan – Lighthouse
Lighthouse is the brilliant new single from Lesbilicious favourite Lucy Spraggan. Released 30th June, pre-order from iTunes now.
May 27, 2013